Monday, October 14, 2013

Squash Crop Exceeds Expectation


What started out as five hills of butternut squash plants has ended up exceeding all expectations. I hoped for a few winter squash for autumn meals like squash soup and roasted squash.

At last count there have been over 40 squash harvested from the south end of the garden where the vines went absolutely crazy this summer. Some of the big squash top out over three pounds; even the little ones approach a pound. Without weighing each and every specimen, I would venture a guess that those five hills produced over 50 pounds of fruit.

I must admit, too, that I have already been seen opening up the hatchback on my Chevy Volt and handing squash to my friends and family. This fair warning -- there's lots more to be distributed yet!

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment