Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sparky and The Ump


Ben Donaghy, Saginaw area wood carver, made these remarkable two inch high renditions of Sparky Anderson and a major league umpire. Our friends, Dave and Jill Harmon of Beaverton, both carvers, have taken classes from Ben who is an instructor for the Tri-City Carvers and a former Saginaw teacher.

Jill had tucked the tiny wood carvings, wrapped in tissue, into a zip top bag and handed them to me when we attended a Great Lakes Loons game this summer. Sparky and The Ump now reside on my kitchen window ledge where they remind me of the joy of baseball, those 162 games every season that entertain us, thrill us, and sometimes disappoint us.

As a good Detroit Tiger fan, I am hoping for a run straight through to the World Series this fall. I'm holding my breath that there will be no disappointments this year, please.

Sparky and The Ump won't have that and neither will we!

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler


No comments:

Post a Comment