Friday, October 25, 2013

Beet Harvest Album


A familiar sight in Huron County and all of the Thumb, a beet truck slows to turn north toward the piling station just off of M-142, east of Verona. This truck's load is piled high.


Farmers work late into the night, quitting when the frost and dew prevent safe harvesting, and then begin again before first light. Here's a tractor with a beater that flails the leaves off of the beets before a conventional harvester lifts the beets from the ground. This photo was taken before dawn.

It's usual to see headlights in strange places during harvest as the equipment moves up and down and around in the fields.


Here's another view of the giant Ropa loading equipment at work along Atwater Road this week. I have to admit that I liked the sharpness of the yellow against the sky so much that I heightened the color. Artistic license!


2 comments:

  1. I love your Blog Wanda! I tried to locate you on facebook and it brought me here instead. I have to say I am glad it did. I have some information for you in regards to the MSU pins. We were talking about them at the game last week. You can email me if you like and I will send it to you. rathbunfarms@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will email you this weekend some time. Glad you found the blog. It's an ongoing part of my life, something that I do every day. See you at the next game.

    WJ

    ReplyDelete