Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Artwork: Giant Machine

I have been wanting all summer to sketch the wind turbines in Huron County and today I finally did that. I put my big sketchbook, graphite pencils, and eraser on the passenger seat when I headed out to do errands today.

This drawing is a portion of a scene that I drew south of Ruth along Ruth Road. I have photographed this turbine before and knew a good spot to pull off the road so I could see the turbine. I propped the sketchbook on the steering wheel and went to work.

The blades were turning every so slowly so that the shadows changed each time I looked up. I drew three versions of the giant machine. Then, later, I inked over the lines and did a partial watercolor of the page. The clouds formed layered rolls that had gray bottoms. Blue sky capped the view. The turbine went from gray to white, depending on the angle of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment