Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Arizona Val

Arizona Val blocks on the design wall
My Mom, Val Hayes, had a favorite quilt that that she especially liked and used a lot in her quiltmaking. One of its traditional names is Contrary Wife. Based on the nine-patch and with a strong diagonal center, Contrary Wife, in my quilts, has come to be called "The Val Block."

I'm spending the next month or so in Arizona. My Michigan cough needs some R&R and some of that Southwest sun. I hope to pull out my little Elna Lotus sewing machine, vintage and reliable, and piece some big, bright blocks for a new quilt.

It will have The Val Block in it and, yep, you guess it, the quilt is called Arizona Val.

More quilts with The Val Block:
Val's Pink Quilt -- Martha has this one
Shawn's Quilt -- pieced top, not quilted yet
My Quilt -- for Hannah


Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment