Saturday, February 25, 2012

Photoshop Bird


The image of this little bird should really be a reminder to me of how grateful I am to my oldest son. Several years ago Will urged me to start using Photoshop. He saw my photographic interests and knew that it would be a program that would challenge me.

Will is a professional Steadicam operator so he is constantly dealing with light and shadow, movement and line, morning light and evening sun. I finally shucked off the parent-like resistance to advice that clouded my thinking and bought Photoshop.

So, a couple of years later, I'm still learning.

Here's what I did to this image.

1 -- Cropped it in real close.
2 -- Gave the entire image a canvas texture.
3 -- Added angled strokes to the image.
4 -- Brushed more green into the two leaves on the ocotillo.
5 -- Used reds and pinks to highlight the colors in the bird.
6 -- Spotted a tiny white highlight to the eye.
7 -- Resisted the temptation to play with the shadow.
8 -- Added a thin black border and the copyright text.

Here's what I started with.



Learning Photoshop is like having a sewing machine with lots of bells and whistles. There is always some aspect of the machine or the craft to be learned.

=============

As a reminder, if you want to see a photo in this blog up closer, click on the image.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment