Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Theodore in Memphis, A Drama -- Part 2



SCENE TWO: A pup, growing up
SETTING: An evening in Memphis and NOTDOG (Chloe) is waiting in the living room for her date to arrive.


DOG: Some days Ah wish mah name was Taylor.

NOTDOG: Why's that, Theodore?

DOG: Well, when y'all sing that song, you know the one about the coffee shop guy, that bare-eesta, well, Ah get all shook up.

NOTDOG: Theodore, the all shook up line is an Elvis line.  You know that. You are a native Memphian. Maybe you've been playing with your rubber Elvis Chicken too much lately.

DOG: But Ah was watching the YouTube video of you singing about Taylor and Ah was really and truly shook up at how beautiful and sad that song makes me feel.

NOTDOG: I get it. You don't want me to grow up and leave for college, is that it, Theodore?

DOG: Well-l-l, yes Ma'am, that's sort of what Ah've been thinking about. Ah just love it when you strum your guitar and practice your singing and talk real purty to me. Why, Aunt Eller. . .

(Theodore stops short. He's a big fan of Oklahoma and Laurie and Curley and he loves Aunt Eller the best, but since he lives in Memphis, he doesn't want his people to know how many times he's seen Oklahoma on YouTube when they're sleeping. He's also a Kristin Chenoweth fan and watches her on YouTube in the middle of the night, but, this too, shall remain his very own canine secret.)

NOTDOG: So, what if I was to change the words a bit and sing real purty to you?

(She bends down and scoops the bulldog up in her arms. They are a picture of loveliness. Theodore with his lovely white fur and NOTDOG in her white pearls and vintage ivory lace dress. She smiles at him.)

NOTDOG: What would you think about that, Theodore? Would you like that?

(Theodore closes his eyes longer than usual. When he opens them, a tear traces a path down his wrinkly face.)

DOG: (Almost a whisper.) Ah'd love that!

NOTDOG sings:

Theodore, the French Bull Dog,
Bring me java, 'cause he brings me joy!
Oh Theodore, my sweet dog,
I love him, I love him, I love him!

TO BE CONTINUED. . . maybe.


Photo by MJ Burkhead
Script by WJ Eichler

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Theodore in Memphis, A Drama -- Part I
Here's Chloe singing "Taylor the Latte Boy" at her school.

No comments:

Post a Comment