Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tucson Mountains


The afternoon clouds cast sweeping shadows on the western slopes of the Tucson Mountains last Friday. Tall saguaros punctuate the landscape like fence posts in this view as seen near the Visitor Center at Saguaro National Park West.

I've been driving through the northern foothills of the Tucson Mountains for the last two days on my way to an art class at Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Between the desert landscape with the dense saguaro forest and the class (I haven't been in an art class since seventh grade), I'm feeling a bit out of my comfort zone.

Once again, my midwestern sensibilities are showing. As uncomfortable and out of sorts as I feel from time to time, being away from home and taking a class have been good for my brain and for my soul.

Besides, I'm in awe of the mountains. Their strength and massiveness are stalwart and steady. The cloud shadows change the contours of the canyons and crevices hour by hour and day by day. The morning light feels bright and uplifting; evening light is soft and transcendent.

Mountains and art class -- I'm seeing new things here in Arizona.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment