Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Always Behind


I have this errant sense, in Arizona, that I'm always behind. Arizona doesn't change from regular time to daylight time, so from March through October, Arizona is three hours behind east coast time.

Glancing at my audio player this morning (yes, I still use a Microsoft Zune and it works well for me), I automatically did the math. 7:17 AM here. 10:17 AM back home. It's like you have your feet in two worlds, this always watching the clock with math in mind.

Ed found a dual time watch for me that I wear when we travel. It has two faces and tells two times. So I know what time it is where I am and what time it is back home.

It's still a funny feeling though, when I get back to Michigan, because I will take some of Arizona with me. I'm like that with being "home" in Wisconsin, too. 

Maybe this being always behind, always identifying with another place is a part of growing up. The older I get, the more I realize that there are a lot of places where I could live, where I'm comfortable. Still, as I'm heading back to Michigan, I'm ready to be in one place with my brain and my body. 

I count it as one of the great joys of my life that that place is in a Great Lakes state -- my Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment