Sunday, December 2, 2012

Holiday Nights at Tohono Chul Park


Think lights on tall saguaro cacti and old mesquite trees. Think of a cool evening with a banjo and a bass strumming holiday tunes. Throw in a guitar and fiddle and red cowboy boots.

There would be hot cider and cookies. People with strollers and people with walkers. Add a goat or two. And a guy making glass sculptures.

All of this, plus more, adds up to the Holiday Nights events at Tohono Chul Park, a hidden desert garden on the north side of Tucson.

 
Three of my neighbors joined me for an outdoor buffet, served at sunset. Then we walked the lighted pathways of the gardens and enjoyed the holiday sights and sounds.
 
 
The glass guy charmed kids and adults with his mastery of melting and molding and shaping. He made a dolphin from glass and covered it with a titanium metallic glow. Pretty cool.
 
 
 
There were several "photo op" spots that Joanne Christner and I took advantage of. I took a photo (above) of Jim and Joanne. Then I handed the camera to Joanne and she took photos of me. None of them were with flash, so I moved them into my darkroom and fooled around to get the images in this blog post.
 
We had a great time and even got to see the waning, but still big, moon rise over the Catalina Mountains as we made our way back toward Dove Mountain and home. A good storyteller would end the tale with "and a good time was had by all." True, very true.
 
Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment