Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rose Wreath


The lake effect snow sweeping across Michigan brought a new coat of snow to the Thumb overnight. Outside my kitchen window there is a very thorny Seven Sisters climbing rose that is trained up a post and over the pergola.

I hung a wreath in the rose bush this winter. This morning the wreath and the rose branches are snow frosted and waving in the wind. The parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are frosted too, as the kitchen herb garden hibernates (hmm, do plants hibernate?)  for the winter season.

By summer this rose is covered with hundreds of pink blooms that wind their fragrant way up the post and bid a rosey welcome at the doorway. Today Mother Nature has painted it frosty white and the winds toss the branches in a playful celebration of winter.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Wanda, plants do hibernate. I wish I could see your roses in summer. So few roses have scent anymore because they're bred to have fewer thorns and many colors. Somehow that takes away the fragrance. I'll gladly endure a few thorns for more rose aroma! Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, it reminds me of black and white photography, even in our color world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS BW photography, Mark. I use Silver Effex Pro for one layer. Then use the opacity tool to create the "see thru" that brings some of the color back to the photo. Tricky. I never got to learn darkroom techniques at the Progress. So now my darkroom is my 'puter (that's what Grandson Finn called my computer for a long time -- a 'puter, with a long U.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cynthia -- This is an old rose variety, Seven Sisters. An entire hedge of them was cut back at a local museum two years ago and I was in agony about their demise. Last summer I realized that they are upspringing from their roots. Tough roses. Great plants.

    Always good to hear from you.
    WJ

    ReplyDelete