Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Garlic Butter


Chop several cloves of garlic into even pieces, mash them together with several pats of butter and you have garlic butter. How easy is that?

Back in my days of using a plug in machine for just about everything that I made in my kitchen, I would get out the food processor to make something as simple as garlic butter. I hadn't gotten used to handling a large chef's knife.

I don't remember the occasion way back when but Debbie Vollmer was babysitting our kids. Deb and I were doing some cooking that called for garlic butter. I was getting out the food processor when Deb showed me another method of making garlic butter. She hand chopped the garlic and fork mixed it with pats of butter, all on the butter wrapper that was on a dinner plate.

How simple and how effective. I have used Deb's method when I need to make garlic toast ever since. One knife, one plate, two ingredients. Spread the butter on 3 or 4 slices of whole grain bread. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 350 degrees. If desired, turn off the oven and let the door ajar so that the toast can dry out. It will be crunchy and crispy, almost like crackers.

Garlic toast is so good with soup or spaghetti. Use the toast to dip in Maple Mustard Vinagrette that is served on a green sald. Or top garlic toast with slices of Swiss or cheddar cheese for an appetizer with garlic kick.

The garlic butter is simple to make. The toast takes just a bit of time. It's good food.


Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment