Sunday, August 28, 2011

Red Havens



I never knew one peach variety from another until I moved to Michigan. My Michigan mother-in-law introduced me to Red Havens. "They're cling free. They are the best for canning," she advised as I would eat yet another peach that dripped down my chin and along my forearms to my elbows.

Once, when I was a little girl, my Wisconsin grandmother gave me a peach to eat and sent me outside. Fresh from the bathtub, I got to walk around the farmhouse with my hair wet, in my cotton slip with eyelet trim, eating that big peach on a summer afternoon.

I know that Red Havens don't belong to Michigan alone, but photographing them on a crunched up Tim Horton's bag, used for ripening these four peaches, makes this another Pure Michigan image for me.

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment