Monday, August 15, 2011

Mayo Crisis (Or Why I Need A Grocery List)


It's Friday night and we are both too tired to make supper. Still, a sandwich sounds good. "I'm going to make a BLT," I announced as Ed and I emptied grocery sacks into the frig, pantry, and cupboards.

Fresh whole wheat bread from Murphy's Bakery in Bad Axe. Check. Homegrown tomatoes from Huron's Finest Produce north of Bad Axe. Check. Fresh Oscar Mayer bacon (my favorite). Check. An uncut head of romaine lettuce from the frig. Check.Mayo. Oh, no!

I pulled the mayo from the frig, screwed the jar open, and detected that faint rancid smell that comes from mayo that's collected on the screw threads of the jar lid. Darn. I grabbed a table knife and sampled the depth of the jar. Good. Well, sort of good.

I was so hungry for that BLT that I used the bottom-of-the-jar mayo. Right then, I updated the grocery list so that the next mayo crisis would be avoided. So, now we have both Miracle Whip and Hellman's in the frig since our family is pretty much evenly divided over the merits of both. The unopened jars are on hand and chilled and, might I point out again, fresh!

Mayo crisis over. Would that other life crises could be solved so rationally and so quickly.





No comments:

Post a Comment