Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Inktense Exercise


I bought a set of twelve Inktense color pencils by Derwent a while ago. My first effort with these water based pigment pencils was a disaster.

Recently I thought I'd try again. This time I went to the Derwent website and found an exercise that explores the qualities of the pencils. I printed off the directions and got busy. Out came the tracing paper and watercolor paper. I enlarged the suggested drawing, traced it and transferred it to the watercolor paper.

Following the step by step lesson, I outlined the figures in the drawing with the black outline pencil. This pencil is non-soluble which means that the black outline stays put, even when using a water brush over the color.

Next I added the colors in the order suggested. The dark background takes several layers of color. The skin tones are light markings of two different pencils. The blue t-shirt is also a light layer of color.



When I finished putting the pencil color in place, the drawing looked like a textured piece, thanks to the cold press watercolor paper that I chose to do this exercise.



Finally, and this was the scary part, I used a round watercolor brush to add water to the ink pigment. Now the color begins to merge and create a blend that is more like watercolor and less like pencil.

I am quite pleased with the result. and look forward to using Inktense color pencils for some of the ATCs (artist trading cards) that I like to make. These pencils would also be good for small drawings in a daily journal or for post cards. Now I'm getting some ideas!

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment