Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pickles



I made a batch of bread and butter pickles this week. Annette Pechette brought me cukes from her garden. I rounded up a several recipes, jars, lids, and the ingredients. Joni Clark, eminent foodologist and resident chemist, consulted with me on the chemistry of doubling or halving pickling recipes.

The result -- pickles, and the satisfying ping that sounds when a jar lid seals. I haven't canned for such a long time that I even sent Ed a text message when three jars sealed one after the other. Ping. Ping. Ping.

An added benefit of the pickle episode is that Max and I (currently we seem to be the appointed pickle eaters in the family) will have pickles to try when he and his little brother come for Labor Day.

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. I made a batch late in July and am getting ready to make another batch. I didn't want to, but I have SO many cukes, I can't bear to see them go to waste (don't you think Mom is proud of me?.

    Unlike you, I am incredibly lazy. I make refrigerator pickles, so I only have to go through the process of making the brine and preparing the cukes, dill and garlic.

    BTW, my cukes are HUGE and some of them have orange skin from being out in the heat too long. Hence, I have just come up with the idea to peel them and cut them into chunks. This is either the worst idea ever or I am starting a new food trend. Let's hope for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda Hayes EichlerAugust 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM

    Refrigerator pickles! Good idea. I might try my hand at another small batch and fill the frig in the garage. There's space there. Thanks, Heidi!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete