Friday, June 20, 2014

Hummingbird Art


Small sketches of hummingbirds, scattered through my June art journals, are changing the way that I look at these tiny creatures. I try to sketch them in flight as well as perched on a feeder. I've been using watercolor pencils, standard colored pencils, watercolors, Micron pen, and graphite pencil as my tools for these little drawings.


My go-to resource for working on bird drawings this summer is "The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds" by John Muir Laws, a talented bird artist. There are so many hints and observing tips in this book that I find more information to absorb every time I study another page.


For Father's Day this year, I did a small piece of framed art for Ed, a hummingbird at the feeder, drawn this June while watching birds at the lake house.


No comments:

Post a Comment