Sunday, January 29, 2012

Curvey Aloes


I transplanted four aloe shoots that I rooted in water. The shoots came from an out-of-control aloe plant that was creeping down the sides of a too small pot. Long neglected, the plant was dried and mangy looking, yet it had green shoots centered in its stems.

I took that plant apart and threw away the dried stems that were tough and papery. The remaining stems were curling and distorted, but I rooted them anyway.

Now these four shoots, still curvey and misbehaving, have been tucked into a big pot that used to house one of my red geraniums. I know that I should have renewed the soil, but just didn't take the time to do that.

Aloes are such handy plants to have around the kitchen due to their soothing sap. Those quick accidental burns from a hot oven rack or stovetop pot will start to heal almost immediately when the sap an aloe plant is applied. You can break off a stem and peel it open and rub the sap over the burn. The aloe juice takes away the sting and soothes the burned skin.

This pot should be thriving and full of baby aloe shoots within a month or two.

Copryight 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment