Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Moebius Mistake



It's a mistake. See the twist in this knitting? That twist is not supposed to be there when you start knitting a hat.

Usually you see the twist and know that you have to take out the knitting within a row or two after casting on the stitches. I was so brain dead while knitting last weekend that I was more than several rows into this project when I realized that that I had a moebius twist in my knitting.

What is a moebius twist? Well, if you take a long, narrow strip of paper, give it a half twist and tape the short ends together, you create a moebius strip. It would be like a twisted cylinder and would have one surface, not two like the page of a book. Such a twist cannot be undone in knitting. I might cast on intentionally with a moebius twist to make a twisted scarf, but for a hat, nope.

Knitting, unlike woodworking or painting or even weaving, allows one the opportunity of starting over. And that's just what I did. I gently pulled the stitches apart to undo the moebius mistake, wound the yarn back into the ball and started over.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors in the hat-matches my favorite scarf. Maybe someday in my golden years I will take time to learn how to knit (again) and be creative with yarn again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous. This is Koigu yarn from Canada, handpainted and lovely.

    My knitting wisdom says that you might consider knitting now since every day qualitfies as a golden day!

    WJ

    ReplyDelete