Friday, November 28, 2014

Postcards: Before the Hills in Order Stood


For several weeks I have had one stanza of the hymn "O God Our Help in Ages Past" running through my brain. Whenever I'm out for a walk or a drive here in the Tucson basin, these words come to accompany my day.

Before the hills in order stood, or earth received her frame,
From everlasting, Thou art God, through endless years the same.

The art, my fledgling watercolor work with pen and ink accent, in this set of postcards depicts images of those hills, the hills that seem so ordered, yet are bested by the wonderment of how they got there in the first place.

Since I like the juxtaposition of recognizable images (think, my rubber stamp collection!), the mountain and sky images are contrasted with a childlike face, one that could be the warming sun of innocence in life. Oh, and I threw in a cowboy boot, again, just because I like it.

Theological? Thought provoking? Artistic license?

Who knows! I just enjoy the thought of all these images coming together.




No comments:

Post a Comment