Thursday, November 27, 2014

KaChings and a Maple Pecan Tart



Supposedly it is not a good idea to try new recipes on special days. That's the rule and I usually figure that it is a rule to be broken, somewhat.

Today's somewhat was a Maple Pecan Tart with Dried Cherries recipe, and it was yummy. I found the recipe in the November-December 2011 issue of "Eating Well" and decided to try it for Thanksgiving. Then, at the last minute, I decided to use the Shortcut Pie crust recipe from The Splendid Table website, instead of the pecan crust in the original recipe. It was a serendipitous decision and a good choice for a last minute baking task.

But, I'm not in my usual kitchen, so I had to hunt up (i. e., shop for) a 9 inch tart pan. I found one in a set that contained 8 inch, 9 inch, and 10 inch tart pans. KaChing! Thirty bucks for the set.

We shopped for the ingredients. The maple syrup, that I had on hand, since I use maple syrup in salad dressings. Pecans were about seven bucks a bag. I bought a bag of whole pecans and a bag of chopped pecans. KaChing, KaChing. Twice.

Couldn't find dried cherries, which the recipe called for, so I used dried cranberries. KaChing! Another three bucks.

Then there was the butter for the crust, a new sack of flour, a new bag of brown sugar. More KaChings.

But the tart was luscious and went very well with all of the Thanksgiving dinner goodies. And that rule about not trying new recipes, well, I broke that rule, too. KaChing!


No comments:

Post a Comment