Monday, February 3, 2014

Last Class, Something Done


I started this watercolor piece several years ago and never had the confidence to finish it. It is not original. I copied it from a beginning watercolor book that shows how to paint each vegetable and then places each shape into this still life.

What is so very encouraging for me is that after taking Watercolor 1 at the Art Institute at Arizona Desert Sonora Museum I have finally found the gumption to do the brush strokes, the glazing, the background wash, and the detail work to finish this still life.


The onion in the finished piece feels like it is floating; the yellow pepper needs another lobe or two. But all in all, I am quite pleased with my early efforts and applaud the instruction of Rick Wheeler, a talented artist whose skills as a teacher of watercolor are only eclipsed by the body of work that he is creating as a watercolorist, pen and ink master, and expert at scratchboard.

Rick Wheeler, Artist and.Instructor at ASDM

"You Can Paint Watercolors" by Alwyn Crawshaw


No comments:

Post a Comment