Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It's Okay to Try Something New


Traveling up the windswept Coachella Valley in Southern California today, I was reminded of how much I did not want wind turbines to take over Huron County in Michigan. There are hundreds of turbines, clustered in rows and clumped along ridges, that make up a huge amount of electricity production along the I-10 corridor east of Los Angeles.

When I first saw turbines coming into Michigan, all I could think of was the clutter on the landscape that the California turbines represent. Fortunately, the Thumb area turbines are spaced apart and set onto the fields with some dignity and respect. You may not agree about liking them, but they are not an industrial blemish like the ones we saw today.

It took me a while, but I came around to understanding that it was okay for me to change my mind and take a new position on wind turbines, but I did.

I've tried some more new things this year, too. I golfed every month in 2013. I didn't golf every day or every week. I just set myself a goal in January of 2013 to golf more by trying to play every month. I made it. I did something new.

Tomorrow we'll see the Rose Parade and attend the Rose Bowl. I'm not big on crowds (some estimates put annual attendance at Rose Parades in Pasadena as high as one million people), but I will see the parade tomorrow. Again, it is something new, something that I have never done before, something that I wasn't really, really enthused about, but will try anyway.

Wind turbines and golfing and Rose parades don't have a lot in common, unless you count them as I do -- a way to see the world differently, with new eyes that take in the positives and eliminate the negatives. A few double bogeys and some wind turbines in 2013 remind me to take in the new things in 2014, like maybe a Michigan State Rose Bowl win.

I'm still learning that it's okay to try something new!




No comments:

Post a Comment