Monday, July 29, 2013

If I Were A Daylily



If I were a daylily, I'd be this one. My blossoms would be the color of summer sunsets gone by, ridged by the genetics of my past, and ruffled a bit on the edges.

My life would be lifted to the blue water skies of my lakeside clump. I would tell the buds yet to come about a day's sunshine and fresh air. I'd brag about the yellow moonlight and the fawns and raccoons that nuzzled my fragrant blooms in their nighttime wanderings.

Kissed by the winds of the Great Lakes and nourished by the rich soil of midwestern farmlands, I would signal the botanical wonder of a creation that is as varied as the heavenly stars and as sturdy as the geology that formed the lakes.

If I were a daylily, I'd be this one.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment