Sunday, April 7, 2013

Saturday With Dad

Stanley C. F. Hayes and daughter Wanda Jean Hayes Eichler
April 6, 2013 -- At the Wisconsin farmhouse
Our family gathering this weekend has been a great success. On Saturday we all converged on my Dad and had lunch with him. There was a polkadot birthday cake with ice cream for Dad and Baby Val. You will remember that Dad's 92nd birthday was Thursday and Baby Val turns one this coming week.

For several hours, the house was filled with family, including grandchildren in their teens and four great grandchildren (all pure Michigan kids) from one to eight. Then the gathering cleared and things became a tad bit quieter.

Stan with son-in-law Ed Eichler

Ed and I fixed supper with Dad and enjoyed some quieter time in the evening. Dad and I googled some of his seminary buddies and were so pleased to find word of Duane and Lucile Lenz of Nebraska. Duane and Dad went to Evangelical Theological Seminary together in the early 1950's and served EUB (Evangelical United Brethren) churches in southwestern Wisconsin on the weekends while going to school.

I like to say that that was back when being evangelical was the real thing. There was a strong social gospel preached but you had to live it and you cared deeply for those around you and far away from you who were poor, hungry, sick, lonely and downtrodden. The gospel was lived out day to day and not worn on one's shirt sleeve. That's what Dad has always preached. Be the gospel.

Enough preaching. I might be a chip off the old block.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad the family was able to gather to help your dad/granddad celebrate his birthday. I am sure your mother was smiling on the celebration from Heaven! I am encouraging my children to get to Harrisonburg, VA to visit my dad, their grandfather, who will be 88 in June. Although he is healthy, we don't know how much longer we will have him here on Earth. Brenda

    ReplyDelete