Thursday, April 25, 2013

In It Together


It had to be a full moon last night. I didn't check the almanac but I did drive my Chevy Volt back up the lane at Mom and Dad's Wisconsin farm to see if I could get an image of Grandpa Bill Luedtke's barn with the full moon rising.

Bingo. Thanks to the magic of digital photography and some darkroom (in my computer) work, that Wisconsin full moon drifted clear and comforting over the late spring landscape. (And, dear blog readers, you may have to click on the image to see it in its entirety.)

I'm always taken by the moon. The moon that I see at 8 pm Central time in Wisconsin was visible a bit earlier to Ed in Michigan in Eastern time at our farm south of Pigeon.

Later, my sister Penny would see the full moon rise over the Rockies in Montana. Friends Lindsie and Prateek could watch that moon in San Francisco. Tom and Daniel and Adam in London saw it rise over the Thames.  Marye in The Netherlands might have photographed it silhouetted against a wooden windmill in her part of the world. The same moon rose full all across the planet.

Occupants of Earth, we humans are united by our sight of our orbiting neighbor. On full moon nights the drifting silver orb is a clear and wondrous reminder that we're all in this thing together.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment