Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Nancy Rose


I planted a Queen Elizabeth rose this summer. With blossoms described as majestic, this grandiflora rose joins the Sister Rose Row where there now are six red Dortmund roses and one pink.

The Nancy rose which honors my sister-in-law, has had a tough time adapting. Lots of hot days burned its leaves and even though I watered and fertilized, it did not thrive. I dug it up and checked the root system. I resettled it into the same hole which I dug out larger. I pruned it and gave it some of my friend Gloria's magic mulch, a fine shredded pink bark.

This fall the rose is sending out new leaves. It has three new shoots. Now I'm hoping that the late summer pruning, not recommended for roses, will do this rose good. A late fall will allow some growth and then a blanket of snow should protect the rose for the winter.

Next summer, the Nancy rose should be a glory of pink, shining bright in the Sister Rose Row.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler


No comments:

Post a Comment