Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to School, Circa 1954


Here's an obvious first day of school photo from the family archives. Taken on the front porch of the Marshfield parsonage, it shows two sisters with identical book bags and a little brother unencumbered by the cares of the academic world.

I'm on the left and if my figuring is correct, I would be entering first grade. Carla, entering third grade, looks more self assured that I do. And Tim seems happy to be in the photo.

The image is from the scans of my Dad's slides that my sister MB did several years ago. Ephemera to notice: morning glories trained up the side of the porch to the left; the porcelain knob on the black screen door; coleus in the porch box.

We look pretty spiffy and ready to conquer the classrooms at Jefferson School, a few blocks away from the parsonage next to the church in Marshfield, Wisconsin.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler





No comments:

Post a Comment