Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cherry Street in Autumn


That's Zion Evangelical United Brethren Church on the corner of Ninth and Cherry Streets in Marshfield, Wisconsin. A red brick building, the church was an anchor for me during my elementary school years. My dad served as pastor here and we lived in the parsonage next to the church. This photo was probably taken during the fall season in 1954

Dad took lots of 35 millimeter slides using his Argus camera. This is one of them, probably Kodak Ektachrome slide film. My sister Mary scanned lots of Dad's slides and what you see here is one of those scans.

Maple leaves fell in huge swaths from these trees, covering the walks and lawns like a snowfall. We built leaf forts. We raked piles together and jumped into the leaves. I can smell the crisp fall scent even now. Sort of a cross between burnt leaf and dry leaf, with a touch of mold, the smell of fall fills my memory with late afternoon northern light and cool evenings spent playing outside after an early supper.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment