Saturday, September 15, 2012

If You Can, Give Back


Ed and I are extremely fortunate. We know that. So we try to give and give back. Schools played an important role in our lives and last night was a give back night. Along with Ed's brother Neal and his spouse, Annie, we were honored at the Friday night football game for having donated a new scoreboard for the Laker football field.

Here we are with four of the players from the football program, at half time, in front of the new scoreboard with LED lights that are easy to read day or night. Neal is on the school board and heard about the need for a better scoreboard, so he and Ed stepped up to the plate (oh no, a baseball analogy in a football conversation) and gave money to get the new scoreboard in place.

Neal and Ed are both alums of the Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port system. Annie just retired after a fulfilling career teaching Chinese, music and more with the EPBP schools. And me, well, I did teach there for one semester in 1972-73, long enough to get to know some of the great students this system produces.


Thank you, Laker Athletes, for the very cool football and stadium blanket that you gave to each couple. I am especially impressed by the football which is autographed by the 2012 team. I realize that I have been going to MSU games longer than some of you have been on this planet.

My hope for each of the athletes who plays in sight of this scoreboard is that they will come to know when it is good to keep score and when it is time to put scores behind and walk away. 

I'm still working on that one myself.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment