Friday, July 20, 2012

PHD in Quilting


I agree with my sister Mary who says that quilters who finish a Baltimore Album applique quilt should be acknowledged as having their PhD in Quilting. My friend Gloria Busch of Pigeon has finished her quilt and it is hanging in the Thumb Area Quilt Guild Show in Pigeon this week.

Well done, Gloria. Your glowing smile shows how proud you are of this accomplishment. Know that your quilting friends are very proud of you and admire your work lovingly. I especially like the border which you designed for your quilt.

Gloria joins these women in my circle of quilting whom I know to have the PhD via the Baltimore quilt route: Vallanee Rose Luedtke Hayes (my mother) of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; Pauline Beatrice Geiger Eichler (my mother-in-law)of Pigeon who has made two of these quilts; Isabel Leipprandt of Pigeon; Jill Harmon of Beaverton; Debbie Ballard of Midland. (I know I am forgetting some of the quilts and quilters whose Baltimores I have seen. Refresh my memory, friends!)

I taught applique classes at my shop, Pigeon River Mercantile, during the mid-1990's and we worked on these quilts. Many of the Thumb area quilters began their blocks then. I am sure that more of these quilts (including my own) will be completed in the years to come.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler


No comments:

Post a Comment