Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Big Three in a Bowl


Talk about the Big Three and most people think you are talking cars -- General Motors, Chrysler and Ford. At my breakfast table, the Big Three are General Mills, Post and Kellogg.

Interestingly enough, the cereal companies and the car companies all have Michigan or Midwestern ties. Obviously, the automakers are in Detroit. Kellogg and Post are headquartered in Michigan and General Mills is in Minneapolis. None of that has anything directly to do with this post.

I was filling my cereal bowl this morning and realized that my mixup of breakfast grains might be of interest to my Dad and my blog readers. So, here's what I do. I start with 5-8 biscuits of Kellogg's Maple and Brown Sugar Mini Wheats. Then I add a bit of Post's Great Grains in Crunchy Pecan. Those two get topped off by General Mill's Honey Nut Cheerios which are the cereal du jour of the grandchildren when they come to visit.

I pour on about a half cup of 1% organic milk and sit down for a fairly sweet and quick breakfast. I guess that you could call this my "mixtape" breakfast. I don't eat this every day, so it is always a treat to enjoy the Big Three in a Bowl.

NOTE: The Pigeon IGA is the only store that carries Maple and Brown Sugar Mini Wheats. The other grocers (Meijer's, in the cities, included) have Strawberry, Chocolate, Blueberry Filled, etc. Ah, the local IGA. What would my life be without their Maple Mini Wheats!

I 'm guessing that some of you readers will tell me that WalMart carries the Maple Mini Wheats. Sorry. I just can't give WalMart my dollars. Not after the shellacking that they gave to small towns in rural America. Politics enters my cereal bowl and daily life, as usual. End of discussion. Time to eat!


Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. You might be surprised at what Walmart actually carries. If it's not a big seller, and I don't see something good for you -- like Mini-Wheats -- as a good seller at Walmart, it's not on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mini Wheats are good for me? That's cool. I usually consider them too sweet to be in the Good Food category, but, oh my, that's where I place them. :)

    ReplyDelete