Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kim's Kactus


My friend Kim who works at Orr's Drug Store in downtown Pigeon has a beautiful Christmas cactus at the store that she takes care of. It is a big one -- healthy, thriving, a joy to see at the store.

Kim gave me some stems of the cactus in mid-April. I let the stems idle for 2-3 weeks and then planted them in a yogurt carton using Scott's Cactus mix and no drainage holes in the carton. One stem is budding and there are hair roots coming out of the stems above the soil level.

My next job will be transplanting it into a larger pot and then locating some filtered light for the plant.



I call my horticultural endeavor "Kim's Kactus" and hope it will be a part of my indoor plants for years to come.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment