Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pomegranate & Cobalt



During my visit to Tohono Chul Gardens in Tucson last Thursday, I explored a few more of the garden areas that I had not visited yet. Captivated by the sound and sight of a cobalt pottery fountain at the Moorish Garden, I sat down on a low wall.



Right next to me was a hedge with these large fruits that looked like giant rose hips. With their rounded shape and warm red color, I soon identified them as pomegranates. A little research reveals that the plants, displayed in this garden as a low hedge, are dwarf pomegranates. This one, according to a plant list available on the Tohono Chul website, is Punica granatum "Nana." The fruits were the size of a small apple.

Pomegranates always appeal to me this time of the year. My mother would buy one at Christmas and we would peel it and eat the luscious, ruby seeds. Now, it seems, pomegranates are available for longer times in the stores at holidays.

I like to use the seeds in winter salads with dark greens, toasted pecans, fresh chunks of navel orange, shards of Romano cheese, and my classic Maple Mustard Vinaigrette. Mmmm, gardens and good food just seem to go together, don't they.



No comments:

Post a Comment