Monday, January 13, 2014

Arizona Citrus, and More


One of my nutrition goals for this winter is to eat some citrus every day. A stroll through the Farmers' Market on Dove Mountain last week produced Moro oranges (also known as blood oranges), Arizona Sweet oranges, and some good navel oranges.

My neighbor picked that big grapefruit and the lemon next to it from their citrus trees, trees loaded with fruit this winter.

The small tomatoes are Campari type tomatoes from the greenhouses at University of Arizona. They have been delicious in salad with a vinaigrette made with the blood orange juice. I've been chopping the red kale, with its lobed leaves, and eating it on my green salad.

Just for good measure, I bought a package of Yellow Brick coffee roasted here in the Tucson area at the market, too. I haven't opened the package yet because I've been experimenting with making French press coffee in just the right proportions. I want the coffee to be bold and still sweet. So far, I'm at 24 ounces of water to one quarter cup (4 tablespoons) of ground coffee with three minutes of brewing time. The flavor could be bolder, so the next pot will have more coffee added, probably 5 tablespoons.

Citus, good greens, fresh coffee. Sounds like a tasty addition to January meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment