Friday, April 27, 2012

Chevy Volt: Less Knitting, More Driving

Tuesday morning, April 24, 2012 --  33 miles EV range from overnight charge
7041 total miles on WJ's Chevy Volt


I hit the 7000 mile mark this week in my Viridian Joule 2012 Chevy Volt and I can say that this is truly a fun car to drive.

We took the Volt on several long trips recently, driving from home in Huron County, Michigan (100 miles north of Detroit) to Dayton Ohio, and then another trip to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. I drove a great share of the miles on both trips. Between the sport mode (I love it) and the navigation system (I'm still getting used to the multitude of features) and OnStar guidance (I appreciate the helpful service and pleasant staff), the Volt makes for compelling hour after hour, day after day driving.

Now, here's how I know this to be true. On long trips I usually ride shotgun because I can get a lot of knitting done in a day's drive time. Well, thanks to the Volt, I'm driving more and knitting less.


Lifetime MPG is 52.7

My lifetime miles per gallon figure is at 52.7. That's low for most Volt drivers. I charge my vehicle whenever I can, but I drive it whether it is charged up or not. No range anxiety here. This baby is my car, not some high tech toy. Would I buy another Volt? Yep. Or I would lease one. Either way, I would continue to drive The Volt.

One more story. I pulled into the gas station at the corner of M-142 and M-19, east of Bad Axe, one cold day in March. The Volt needed some gas. A guy with a pickup (I didn't say large) was kind of hunkered down, trying to stay warm while pumping fuel into his truck. I pulled up. Did the credit card song and dance, started fueling, finished fueling, pulled the receipt, and updated my trip meters and log book. When I pulled away, he was still pumping gas into that pickup truck.

That used to be me with my Big Buick Rainier -- doing the I'm-cold-and wish-this-pump-would-hurry-up-dance as gallons flowed into my SUV. Enough said.


Previous Chevy Volt posts

Michigan Runs Deep
Chevy Volt: First 60 Mile EV Day
When I'm Sixty Four
Volt Update: 41 Miles on a Cold Night
Second Tank
Charging the Volts
Enough Said
My Volt (And More) on YouTube
Volt Goes Christmas Shopping
Volt Day Two
New Era in Huron County
Album: Cruisin' With the Chevy Volt
50 Volts















Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment