Thursday, December 8, 2011

New Era In Huron County



I took delivery of a new 2012 Chevrolet Volt yesterday afternoon at McCormick Motors in Pigeon. I drove it around the mile with Ed once so he could ride with me. Then down to the office, to Shaggy J's for supper, and to the farm. Back up town with Ed to retrieve some paperwork. Not a speck of gas used. Just 8.4 kilowatt hours of electricity!

Marion Shetler, sales rep at McCormick's, tells me this is the first Volt sold in Huron County. Pictured above is the 2007 Buck Rainier that I traded in. The Rainier took me almost 130,000 miles on lots of driving around Michigan, and on multiple trips to Wisconsin and Houston. It's been a good car. My Grandpa Carl Hayes, a Wisconsin farmer who was born in 1890, drove Buicks. Grandpa should be smiling down on a granddaughter's good fortune of almost five years of driving the now traded-in Buick.

The black Volt on the right is a dealer demo car that Dave McCormick's dealership purchased so that people can test drive the Volt. This car might have had two tanks of gas put in it in several months. Basically, it charges and runs on electricity.

The center car is my Volt. It's a soft gray green color (Viridian Joule) with almost every bell and whistle I could get and with the promise of driving adventures. I've been accustomed to the view from the driver's seat of a SUV so the cockpit type driving experience that the Volt offers will be a learning curve.

General Motors has been dealing with a Volt safety issue involving fire and the lithium ion battery. Just saying "fire" and "electric vehicle" has the media and internet naysayers up and running. Any fire situations have been induced through safety testing and GM is working to correct the present deficiency. It is safe to drive and buy a Volt.

I'm not the first in our family to drive a Volt since my daughter Liesl Eichler Clark has been cruising around in hers since March. It's great when your kids lead the way.


Other posts on this blog related to the Chevy Volt: 


Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new Volt!

    After a year and 12,000 miles, 11,500 all electric miles, I still look forward to driving my Volt.

    Simply the best car in the world.

    Jeff U'Ren

    ReplyDelete