Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mitten Motivation


I get motivated to knit different things at various seasons of the year. January and February are mitten months. My knitting brain starts planning mittens for Valentine's Day gifts. Gee, Hannah could use a pair, and her little sister, too. And maybe I can get mittens finished for the grandboys, too.

This week I pulled out the balls and skeins of mitten yarn, searched for the journal entries on previous mittens, and got busy planning new mittens.

The rainbow mittens in this photo are "cousins" to the mittens that I knit for Max when he was four. My notes  say that the mittens were big, so Mr. Finn, who is five, will get a pair of rainbow mittens.

Little girl mittens need to be purple and pink and turquoise and white, according to their winter jacket colors. I wound new yarn into balls for their mittens just this morning.

I call this my "mitten mess," this rummaging through the past leftover yarn, finding appropriate needles, searching for pattern ideas. By tonight the thumb will be installed in the second rainbow mitten and their will be pink stitches cast on for another set.

It is mitten motivation time.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment