Monday, January 21, 2013

Light The Way



Our parents light the way for us.

Returning from a weekend spent with my Dad, I am reminded of my Mother, who died six years ago today. Her memory lights my life as does my Dad's presence in my life.

I can't describe their influence without an entire essay, maybe even a biographical remembrance.

For now, on this day, looking at this image of the lighthouse at Manistique, I am remembering. On the sometimes solo trips to be with my mother during her declining years, I made a ritual stop at this place to walk the boardwalk and photograph the lighthouse. Those times out of the car brought the world closer to me, even as my mother was slipping away.

So, stopping by the lighthouse, I see my Mother and am thankful again for her presence in my life.

Copyright 2013
Wanda Hayes Eichler

1 comment: