Friday, March 2, 2012

Indecisive Amaryllis


I brought this amaryllis bulb to Arizona in early February as a bare root bulb. Planted about three weeks ago and left in the eastern courtyard, the bulb refused to grow.

About a week ago, I got to "listening" to the bulb and here's what it whispered into my ear.

"I'm too cold at night. I'm too hot in the noontime sun. My roots feel way too dry or way too wet."

So, I brought the bulb inside and put it near the kitchen sink where I could listen to it. I watered it just so it was damp. I pulled the bulb up a bit and saw some rotting root structure along with several plump roots, ivory in color and thriving. I left the bulb loosened in the soil so air could get to the good roots.

This morning, there's a bud shoot! I'm thinking I need a green ear as well as a somewhat greener thumb.



Previous amaryllis post from March 2009 -- White Flower Monday



Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment