Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Cardi and a Quilt


I was quilting and knitting five years ago in August of 2007. Grandchild Number Two was on the way and we knew this baby would be a boy. I finished a sweet little sweater, a cardigan for a little guy. I always like to make those first cardigans out of lightweight yarn. The yarn for Griffin's first cardi was a multicolor in pale yellow and blue and cream. Very nice.

Then I made a quilt using a patchwork block that I call the "Val Block," all for that tiny little bundle who will turn five over Labor Day weekend. The Val block is named for my mother who made several quilts using this block. I think of her when I sew Val blocks. In quilting lore, the block is known as "contrary wife." That's kind of a neat name, too.

Finn starts kindergarten this fall, so it is fun to look back five years to knitting and quilting days when I could only picture a baby boy in a handknit cardigan on the Val block quilt.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment