Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Quilt of the Decade


I spent most of yesterday piecing on this quilt that has been in progress for all of ten years. Or is it nine? I'm not sure. I will have to look back at the photo archives to find out.

Anyway, the blocks are from a Dresden Plate class that I taught for the Thumb Area Quilt Guild way back when. Zita Sturm convinved the students to "give back" their blocks and she pieced a 20 block top for me out of those blocks. But then, I received more blocks from the class, given to me heartfeltly, and those blocks begged to be in the quilt.

So, I reverse sewed (quiltspeak for ripping seams) and reimagined the quilt larger to include all of the blocks. The little nine patch blocks in red and cream found their way into the sashing. They really add zing to the composition.

My goal? To sleep under this quilt on Christmas Eve. Now that the top is almost done, that means that I will have to fire up my long arm machine, the trusty Gammill, and get busy. All things are possible in the weeks before Christmas, right?

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler



No comments:

Post a Comment