Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent One


Light the Advent Candle One,
Now the waiting has begun.
We have started on our way,
Time to think of Christmas Day.

Candle, candle, burning bright,
Shining in the cold winter night.
Candle, candle, burning bright,
Fill our hearts with Christmas light.


The simple, yet sage, words of the children's Advent song ring in my head today. It's the first of four Sundays that come before Christmas, so in Christian liturgical tradition, it is Advent One.

Today I think of my Dad who is counting the days until his 91st Christmas in Wisconsin. His memories of Decembers past and the Christmases within all of those Decembers must be a wonderful gift for him this year. 

I'm also thinking of my Houston friends, the Winter family, as they count the days toward Hanukkah. Two traditions, linked by the light of truth.

Life is good.

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler






No comments:

Post a Comment