Friday, February 25, 2011

Picacho Peack & Fractals

.

Sometimes I get lucky. I almost always carry a small point and shoot camera. Most of the images that you see on this blog are shot using a smal Sony pocket camera. A week ago today, as we were headed north on Interstate 10 toward Phoenix, I started shooting Picacho Peak, a very distinctive mountain formation south of Casa Grande.

"Want me to pull over," Ed asked.

"Nah. I'm not going to use this for anything special. Just want the outline of the mountain for sketches. That's all," I replied.

But the photo was worth a second look. Here it is with the usual Photoshop touches that I do -- some cropping, tone/contrast/color adjusting (if needed), sharpening and reducing the  photo to blog size. I love the jagged edges of this mountain which remind me of fractal theory.

Fractals are a mathematical approach to describing an extremely irregular, usually jagged shape that is found in nature. Think of a coastal outline or mountain range that seems indefinable. Fractal theory makes it mathematically describable. Fascinating stuff. I learned about fractals from watching the Nova special, "Hunting the Hidden Dimension."  Fractals are all around us and in us. They are constantly repeating outlines and shapes.

That's what this photo of Picacho Peak reminded me of -- fractals.




Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo, would make a delightful painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda Hayes EichlerJuly 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM

    I am so honored to have you comment on my blog! Yes, it would be great painting. I dabble a bit with watercolors. But I admire your work so much and do hope that the NY show was great.

    Thank you for commenting,

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete