Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happy Children


Today is my birthday. I was born in 1948 so that makes me 63. My brother Tim turns sixty this month. Here we are on the front porch of the Marshfield Zion parsonage. Carla is holding Penny, Tim is pointing at the camera and I'm pretty smug and pigeon-toed.

If I'm right in calling this photo for the summer of 1953 (let's say Dad took the photo in June) then I'm five, Tim is two, Carla is almost six and Penny is ten months. We moved from Richland Center to Marshfield in June of 1953.

This might be the first photo of the four of us taken in Marshfield. Maybe the photo was taken on a June Sunday after church service and Sunday school. Dad would have been finished with preaching for the week and willing to get out the old Argus camera.

I love the ephemera in the photo. Notice the porcelain handle on the screendoor, the loafers that Carla and I are wearing, the tie shoes on Tim and Penny, and the bows holding our braids. We look so carefree and happy. Those were good years and we are lucky children to have such memories.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear sister!! What a lovely photo to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the good wishes. I'm so glad that you scanned so many of Dad's slides so that we can share these photos in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday one day late. Hope you had a wonderful day, what a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think -- that photo is from mid-century of the 1900's! Wow.

    Thanks for your comment, Kels!

    ReplyDelete