Saturday, April 16, 2011

Another Yellow Cactus



Leaving the Time of Daffodils in Michigan was one of the disappointments that I had not bargained for. Ed and I decided to visit Arizona in mid April for a number of reasons. We had not counted on leaving the greens and yellows of spring behind.

So, on my first desert walk, as I encountered the stout lemon yellow blossoms of prickly pear cactii and the fragrant yellow lace of a palo verde tree in bloom, I felt the desert spring start to wheedle its way into my gardening heart.

Today's photo shows a prickly pear bud almost open. The writer of "The Desert Gardener's Calendar," George Brookbank, says that when these blossoms are open you can "see bees rolling in the scuppers, like drunken sailors, overcome by the nectar." What a great image -- intoxicated bees!

=====

Related posts:
Yellow Cactus
Daffodils Among The Dortmund Sisters
Daffodils at John and Sheila Eddy's

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler


No comments:

Post a Comment