Monday, November 19, 2012

Bald Eagle Skull


During the second day of the "Ansel Look" black and white photography class at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, instructor Stephen Buchmann showed several of us how to photograph using a mirror as a surface. Another student, Tim, who was using a Minolta system got great results with a tripod and the Minolta equipment. I watched for a while but didn't want to interrupt his work flow.

"Oh just try one," Tim said as he held the auxiliary LED lights and gave me advice on where to shoot using my hand held Nikon SLR camera. The subject at that time was the skull of a bald eagle.

The above photo is my result from that one shot. I did not use a tripod and I did not plan the shot. I listened to the coaching of a fellow student and benefited from the expertise of an instructor who knew the mirror techniques.

I took this shot into my "darkroom" and here is the result of a half hour or so of work. This image of the bald eagle skull helps one to understand the power of the hooked beak in this bird of prey.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

No comments:

Post a Comment