Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mantis, Schmantis -- These Are Cool Insects!

Mantis at Graywood Farm -- October 2007
I don't go looking for insects. They just seem to find me. Take Sunday afternoon, for instance. We arrived at the lake, tired from a full weekend of family and football and 400 miles of driving. Ed had already settled down for a nap.

I walked out on the terrace overlooking the lake and down the steps to the lawn for my usual "hello, Lake, I'm back" moment. When I turned to head back into the sunroom, there on the top of the paver steps was a praying mantis. I scooted into the house, figuring the insect would be gone when I returned with a camera.
Mantis at the Lakehouse -- October 2011

I was wrong. Mr. Mantis posed for the camera for a good five minutes. Then he headed off into the boxwoods, probably looking for another critter to have for supper. I seem to encounter this insect in fall. These two, pictured with this post, were especially cool and cooperative guys.

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. I've been told mantises are a sign of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed says that the females eat the males. Not sure how that relates to good luck.

    ReplyDelete