Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SMB Drumline


I didn't have enough pockets in the clothes that I wore to last Friday night's Michigan State vs. Youngstown State football game. The new rule at the stadium prohibits any kind of handbag or backpack. Everything has to be hanging from one's neck (binoculars, cameras -- no cases) or tucked into a pocket (cellphones, tissues, money, ID).

So, when the Spartan Marching Band's Drumline headed toward their Grand River Avenue pregame percussion crowd warmup, I didn't have the camera that I usually carry. I did have my new cellphone, a Blackberry Bold, with the right convenience button programmed (as usual) to the camera in the phone. That's when I snapped this photo. 

Think evening light filtering through trees that have seen years of students crisscross the campus. Think the sound of precise, even percussion. Think measured cadences and excited freshmen and seasoned upperclassmen. Think first football game on a Big Ten campus. Think "Go Green" and your heart will beat a little faster as you snap the photo right along with me.

Copyright 2011
Wanda Hayes Eichler 

3 comments:

  1. What fun! Would have loved to have been there.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Carol. It was the first Friday night football game in Spartan Stadium. The SMB was excellent! All three of my kids and our daughter-in-law marched SMB. We have a family of bandos. Yes!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add that Peter Eichler is on staff with the SMB doing colorguard work this fall. So proud of him and the colorguard under the capable direction of Orlando Suttles.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete