Friday, November 30, 2012

Farewell to Fall


The last day of November seemed to creep up on me this year. Maybe it was the election. Or Hurricane Sandy's winds that swept across Michigan. Or my art and photography classes in Arizona. Or a Thanksgiving celebration with family and friends that went by all too quickly.

The calendar says that we still have almost three weeks until the winter solstice, a day of reckoning for many cultures. Then comes Christmas and Hanukkah and the start of 2013. Remember when we all were wondering how to say "twenty-oh-whatever?" We got over that and are now well into the second decade of the century.

Grandson Finn showed me how to put several different colors onto a big rubber stamp of a leaf. Finn's art expertise is amazing. The leaves on today's image are my take on Finn's art lesson for his grandmother. We used a water brush and watercolors. Thanks for the lesson, Finn! I will learn a lot more from you in the days ahead.

Copyright 2012
Wanda Hayes Eichler

2 comments:

  1. I celebrate Winter Solstice! I need light and am happy to have a minute more as the days march on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so agree, Bill. I looked up the sunrise/sunset times for London, U.K., just out of curiosity this morning. For today, December 1st, the sun rises at 7:43 am and sets at (get this) 3:56 pm. Wow. I knew that London is north, but at 51 degrees North, that is a big difference from Michigan (44 degrees north), or Arizona (32 degrees North). No wonder the British are so good at Yuletide observances.

    From my Arizona vantage point this December, I'm realizing how truly northern I am. I'm missing the cold and snow and the lights and the festivities. Last night we strolled through one of the big public gardens here for their Holiday Nights observance (tomorrow's blog post). They claim a million lights. I didn't care what the numbers were. It was good to see the holidays, twinkling from from every tree, and to hear holiday songs, sung by a group of cowboy music makers dressed in red and green shirts. Ah, the holidays.

    ReplyDelete